TF Neptune
HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

 6-28-05 SDVT1 and SEAL Team 10

Go down 

Posts : 1507
Points : 20234
Reputation : 21
Join date : 2009-04-06
Age : 38

PostSubject: 6-28-05 SDVT1 and SEAL Team 10   Fri May 13, 2011 5:10 pm


Operation Red Wings (also referred to as Operation Redwing and Operation Red Wing) was a failed counter-insurgent mission in Kunar Province, Afghanistan, involving four members of the United States Navy SEALs, which took place on June 28, 2005.

Three of the SEALs were killed during the initial operation, as were other American Special Operations soldiers (SEALs and Night Stalker pilots) whose helicopter was shot down while flying to provide support and rescue to the team.[5]

Marcus Luttrell, the only surviving American SEAL, was protected by local villagers who sent an emissary to the closest military base allowing a rescue team to locate the wounded SEAL

The SEAL team, led by LT Michael P. Murphy and consisting of petty officers Matthew Axelson, Danny Dietz and Marcus Luttrell, were on a mission to kill or capture Ahmad Shah, a Taliban leader who commanded a group of insurgents known as the "Mountain Tigers,"[2] west of Asadabad.[6][7]

After an initially successful infiltration, local goat herders stumbled upon the SEALs' hiding place. Unable to verify any hostile intent from the herders,[8] Murphy put the decision as to what should be done with them up for a vote: Axelson voted to kill the Afghans, stating, "The military decision is obvious," in reference to the near-certainty that the herders would alert the Taliban. Dietz abstained, and Murphy allowed Luttrell the deciding vote, but warned him that the killings would have to be reported, and that they would be attacked by the "US liberal media" and would almost certainly face murder charges. Luttrell voted to release the herders. He would later state, "It was the stupidest, most southern-fried, lame brained decision I ever made in my life. I must have been out of my mind. I had actually cast a vote which I knew could sign our death warrant. I’d turned into a f--ing liberal, a half-assed, no-logic nitwit, all heart, no brain, and the judgment of a jackrabbit."[6]

Shortly after the goat herders disappeared over the mountain ridge, the SEALs were confronted by a force of Afghan fighters, estimated between 150-200 strong,[2] causing Luttrell to believe that the released herders had given away their position.[9][10]

The insurgents set up a "well organized, three-sided attack", which forced the SEALs to begin running down the slope.[2][11] After 45 minutes of fighting, Murphy moved into the open, after noting the team's radio transmitters weren't functioning properly in the mountains, and placed the emergency call for support from his cell phone. He was shot in the abdomen during the conversation.[2][10] Nevertheless he returned to his cover after the call and continued to battle. It is estimated that the SEAL Team killed 40-80 Taliban Combatants during the fight.

After two hours of fighting, only Luttrell remained alive, although he was lying unconscious behind a ridge where he had been knocked out by the blast of a rocket-propelled grenade

Failed rescue
Matthew G. Axelson, Daniel R. Healy, James Suh, Marcus Luttrell, Shane E. Patton, and Michael P. Murphy prior to the battle.

Taliban video of captured American equipment being examined after the battleOne MH-47D helicopter, four UH-60 Black Hawk and two AH-64D Longbows attempted to come to their rescue to provide extraction in the mountains of Kunar. The MH-47 helicopter, carrying eight Navy SEALs and eight 160th Night Stalkers, was shot down by a rocket propelled grenade shot through the open rear ramp, causing the pilot to lose control of the craft. It hit a mountain ledge, and then fell to the bottom of a ravine, killing all sixteen on board[12] - the largest single loss of life for Naval Special Warfare since World War II.

Shah, the original target of the SEAL team, later gave an interview where he claimed that his forces had set a trap for the American forces, "We certainly know that when the American army comes under pressure and they get hit, they will try to help their friends. It is the law of the battlefield."[13

and resc Searchue

The only survivor of the attack, Luttrell tried to hide himself as he waited for rescue from the search helicopters flying overhead. Driven by thirst, shot in the leg and with three cracked vertabrae,[2] he traversed 7 miles over the remainder of the day.[1] He remained unnoticed until, falling from a ledge, he was discovered by an Afghan shepherd named Sarawa,[14] who summoned his companions to help carry the wounded Luttrell to the village of Sabray-Minah.[1][11] The villagers took care of Luttrell, providing food and medical attention, and protecting him from the Taliban that came to the village demanding that he be turned over to them.

Meanwhile, nearly two days after the initial confrontation, the military had 300 men searching for the team,[15] and had located the downed helicopter and verified that all 16 aboard had been killed.[12] A spokesman for the Taliban, Mofti Latifollah Hakimi, confirmed that the helicopter had been shot down by insurgent fire, and promised to deliver the video made during the assault to media outlets.[16]

Despite multiple attempts, the search helicopters were unable to locate the wounded Navy SEAL. On July 2,[2] the village elder, armed with a note from Luttrell, went down to seek help from Camp Blessing, a Marine outpost several miles away, and approached First Lieutenant Matt Bartels with his information.[17]

With this news, the U.S. forces drew up extraction plans which according to Lt. Col. Steve Butow were "one of the largest combat search-and-rescue operations since Vietnam".[11] As the rescue teams closed in upon the village they ran into Luttrell and some of the villagers who were moving him from one hiding place to another.

Six days after the operation, an American search team located Murphy's body as well as the body of Dietz. For the next four days, they held out hopes that Axelson might be found alive


Then i heard the voice of the Lord sayng,"Whow shall i send??And who will go for us??
And i said,"Here am i..SEND ME!!!!"

"A.E.T lead the Way"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
6-28-05 SDVT1 and SEAL Team 10
Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
» Who's your favourite team and referee.
» Men's 4 x 400m team qualify & WIN GOLD
» Team Takeover will beat Grassoots Elite in a game ?
» AA name Oceania Challenge team for Cairns
» Rhino Motor oil seal.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TF NEPTUNE :: offtopic-
Jump to: